HOLEX Government Recommendations on Adult Education by Dr Sue Pember
HOLEX is the lead body for Adult Community Education and Learning, representing a network of over 120 adult and community learning providers. For more information on HOLEX, visit the HOLEX website.
Below is an extract from 'A Budget for Adult Learners and All Young People - Autumn Budget 2017 Representation', by Dr Sue Pember, OBE. Download the full version here.
In the Autumn Budget on 22 November 2017 the Chancellor should:
- Announce the preparation of an Adult Education, Skills and Employment Strategy with equal status to the Industrial Strategy.
- Create an Adult Basic Skills BREXIT Fund for low-skilled sectors so they can recruit staff from the resident UK population.
- Pledge additional new funding for an adult-led National Retraining Scheme linked to an extended Right to Request Time off to Train
- Resource the enhanced role of adult education, including additional resource to fund:
- The Digital Skills Entitlement so that adults and young people can embrace the digital revolution;
- English language provision linked to formalised local action plans;
- Tackling metal health through education programmes.
- Recognise the importance of education to the older person.
- Promote and resource family learning.